Summer vacations at Zurich Airport
The summer vacations will soon begin in the first Swiss cantons and with them the peak travel season at Zurich Airport. The desire to travel is great. Good travel preparation by passengers helps to keep process times at the airport as short as possible.
The airport expects individual peak days with around 100,000 passengers during the summer vacations. During the daily peaks, the travel volume exceeds the level before Corona. The most popular summer destinations from Zurich this summer include various places in Spain, the USA, Germany, Italy, Great Britain, Turkey, Greece and Portugal. A total of around 60 airlines are again flying directly to 187 different destinations from Zurich.
Tips for preparing for the trip
Passengers are advised to arrive at Zurich Airport between two and three hours before their departure for the summer vacations. Three hours is recommended for flights outside the Schengen area, and two hours for travel within the Schengen area. Earlier arrival is not recommended because it may delay the check-in of passengers departing promptly.
In addition, the following tips will help make the trip more pleasant:
- Check-in online and, where possible, use evening-before check-in.
- Pay attention to the opening hours of the check-in counter - especially in the morning hours. Check-in opens at 4:00 a.m. at the earliest.
- Before departure, check what is and what is not allowed in your hand luggage and what is and what is not allowed in your checked-in luggage. A practical search function for this can be found on the airport website.
- Self-bag drop machines are available for Lufthansa Group and Chair passengers.
Measures initiated to improve waiting times
Flughafen Zürich AG has worked out various measures with its partner companies to keep waiting times as low as possible. Various operational optimizations, improved passenger information and the deployment of additional staff are being implemented in anticipation of the vacation weekends. Additional staff recruited specifically for the summer months will assist passengers in preparing for security screening.
Due to the high volume of travel, there will nevertheless be longer waiting times at check-in and at security and border control during peak times of the day. Therefore, optimal preparation is important:
- Only take as much hand luggage as is permitted by the airline.
- Put liquids in advance in a transparent 1 L plastic bag provided for this purpose
- Have your laptop and other electronic devices ready at the security checkpoint.
- Stow metal objects such as belts, coins, etc. in your hand luggage.